How Real is Reality?Posted: September 26, 2011
By Tatiyana Smith
How real is reality? Many people have become addicted to the new television genre we know as Reality TV. Growing up, TV was full of family sitcoms that could appeal to a wide demographic. Nowadays its reality TV shows with wild personalities that appeal to the high school and college crowd, as well as the competition shows that appeal to many different ages. Regardless of the audience, it’s ironic how appealing another’s life is to us.
Here at Lasell College or even on a train ride you can always expect to hear the buzz about what happened on last night’s episode of many of the reality television shows MTV, VH1, and my favorite Bravo has to offer. Speaking with the MultiCultural Student Union at Lasell College, a member came up with a list of the Top 5 reality shows they hear the most about on campus.
1. Jersey Shore -The fist pumping Jersey Shore Cast who swept the nation with their dances, mannerisms, and language.
Favorite Quote: “Are you DTF?”
2. Keeping Up with The Kardashians – The life of the lavishing Kardashian family that go from LA to NY to Miami.
3. Basketball Wives– The drama filled, glamourous wives of NBA players living their life out in the beautiful Miami.
Favorite Quote: “Your a non F’ing Factor B****”
4. Bravo’s Housewives Series – Where all the drama happens. The life of different key families in New Jersey, Orange County, Beverly Hills, New York, and Miami.
Javon Williams, a member of MSU very passionately said ,” Housewives is the one show I hate to hear about. The worst conversation to sit in. I don’t understand how girls find that entertaining. Its the worst!”
5. Dancing with The Stars – The ABC show that pairs well known celebrities and great dancers and challenges them to multiple genres of dance, eliminating the worst team each week as the show progresses.
Dance Team member Nicole DaSilva says, ” Dancing with the stars is amazing, I will stop everything I am doing, I don’t care if I have homework due in the next five minutes to watch dancing with the stars. And Ron Artest and Rob Kardashian are on it this season…its so funny and great at the same time!”
There are many reality television shows out there that I’m sure many people watch and enjoy. As we watch these shows we sit and think, “How do they do that? ” “I wish I could be on that? ” “I would love to do that?”. Many of us also compare our lives to the personalities on many of these television shows. But one question we fail to keep in mind is how real is reality?